Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day

Today in the US we celebrate the 4th of July, our Independence Day. Usually this holiday is super busy. I'm running around working (yes - I often work on the 4th) and going to parties. But today I stayed home. I still got some work done and kept myself busy, but having a slower day gave me time to think. What does my independence mean to me?

Yesterday I was walking down the street thinking about what and who I wanted to be. A microbiologist, a writer...and right there in the middle of the street it struck me that I have the extraordinary luck of being born in a place and time where I can not only dream about my future, but I can pursue it. I have the freedom and opportunity to literally become anything I want to be. How many people in the history of this world have yearned for that freedom and never had it? How many generations of men and women have struggled to build the world I now live in?

Immediately behind that thought was the realization that I have an obligation not to waste this. I owe it to myself and to everyone who has ever fought for their freedom to take full advantage of the opportunities I have. I have an obligation to preserve the legacy of those who have gone before me. If you are a writer I hope today helps you realize (no matter where you live) what a privilege it is to be able to pursue your dream. Take full advantage of it and don't let anything hold you back! Happy 4th of July you guys!!

2 comments: